issues with configuration items changes

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

issues with configuration items changes

Postby bambus on Tue May 29, 2007 4:20 am

I move harddisk from computer1 to computer2
where computer1 is in BD
computer2 is new
after moving, computer2 with old harddisk(from computer1) was update computer1 in DB, but "serial number" have not changed in the table. But in "Show audit information" listing, serial number is new.

What happen?
And second question. Why it update computer instead of creating a new item and without confirmation?
bambus

Re: issues with configuration items changes

Postby pille on Wed May 30, 2007 2:49 pm

bambus wrote:I move harddisk from computer1 to computer2 where computer1 is in DB computer2 is new after moving, computer2 with old harddisk(from computer1) was update computer1 in DB, but "serial number" have not changed in the table. But in "Show audit information" listing, serial number is new.

bambus wrote:Why it update computer instead of creating a new item and without confirmation?

I'll take both questions on at once since I believe explaining how it all works will probably give you the answer you need for both.

When a computer is audited, a file is created on the computer called ina32.ini. This file is unique to each computer and holds information such as the audit_id, last inventory date, etc. By default it's saved to your %windowssystem% folder (C:\WINDOWS typically)

See a sample below.

Code: Select all
[Info]
ID=PAUL002_BJ1N7U8O7E98
LastInventoryDate=39199.4838639931
SerialNumber=System Serial Number
SerialNumberType=0
ComputerModel=
PreviousFileName=PAUL002_BJ1N7U8O7E98
FirstRun=0
ConfigID=
edAssetTag_Text=PAUL002
AssetTagType=3
LastFileScanDate=39190.5209394329
[USER_pille]
FirstName=Paul
LastName=Ille
EMail=

The issue that you're running into is that you've moved HD1 into COMPUTER2 and that file was generated on and is unique to COMPUTER1. Because the file is unique to COMPUTER1 you'll have issues with the audits created from COMPUTER2.

What you need to do is delete the ina32.ini on COMPUTER2. Afterwards, audit the machine and have it import.

If there are no shared characteristics between COMPUTER1 and COMPUTER2 (mac address, computer name, asset tag, serial number) then COMPUTER2 will be created as a new record. Otherwise COMPUTER2 will cause a conflict that you'll have to resolve by using Resolve - New in the conflicts section.

In actuality, if COMPUTER1 is no more, you should open the computer record, go to actions > Mark as Retired.

Let me know if that answers it for you.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Postby bambus on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:26 pm

What you need to do is delete the ina32.ini on COMPUTER2. Afterwards, audit the machine and have it import.

why i must do it manualy if it can be automated, in ina32.exe code?
It can occur on many remote computers and it is complex to trace.

Whether it is possible to realize it?
bambus

Postby pille on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:10 pm

bambus wrote:why i must do it manualy if it can be automated, in ina32.exe code?
It can occur on many remote computers and it is complex to trace.

The purpose of the ina32.exe is not to delete the ina32.ini file. The ina32.exe simply creates the ina32.ini, but it's meant to be kept in place on a machine and needs to be unique.

You're right that it's hard to trace when you're not sure which machines may have the wrong ones, but if you find you have duplicate ina32.ini files or incorrect files and you aren't sure which machines have them then you'll probably have to use your login script and/or group policy to delete them

For instance, typically the file is located in C:\WINDOWS. You may want to setup your login script to delete the ina32.ini for a couple of weeks to make sure you get any duplicates out there. Then afterwards, stop deleting it and adjust your practices so the issue doesn't happen again.

The login script might look something like this

Code: Select all
del c:\windows\ina32.ini
\\servername\harename\na32.exe

After a time, remove the line that delets the ini file.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion