Auto ticket creation via email for each tech

Open discussion about our Alloy Navigator 5 application

Auto ticket creation via email for each tech

Postby quinnmacdonald on Sun May 13, 2007 8:19 am

Many times I need to assign a ticket to a particular tech/sme while I'm on the road. I'd usually email them the info and cc our ticket creation email address and tell the tech to go find the ticket and assign it to themselves.

I would like a way to email a specific tech and have the ticket automatically assigned to them. I think I'd prefer to do this by emailing a special address ie new-ticket-for-bill@company.com instead of just bill@company.com.

As far as I understand it, AN only imports tickets from one email address and leaves it as unassigned. If you could change it tickets could be created from multiple email addresses it would be handy. I would then give everyone a hidden email address that I would send them specific tickets when needed. The tickets would need to be assigned based on the recipient's email address, I assume.
quinnmacdonald
Junior

Re: Auto ticket creation via email for each tech

Postby pille on Mon May 14, 2007 2:26 pm

quinnmacdonald wrote:Many times I need to assign a ticket to a particular tech/sme while I'm on the road. I'd usually email them the info and cc our ticket creation email address and tell the tech to go find the ticket and assign it to themselves.

I would like a way to email a specific tech and have the ticket automatically assigned to them. I think I'd prefer to do this by emailing a special address ie new-ticket-for-bill@company.com instead of just bill@company.com.

As far as I understand it, AN only imports tickets from one email address and leaves it as unassigned. If you could change it tickets could be created from multiple email addresses it would be handy. I would then give everyone a hidden email address that I would send them specific tickets when needed. The tickets would need to be assigned based on the recipient's email address, I assume.

Before I answer fully keep in mind a couple things. You can have as many mail connector jobs as you want so having more than one email is possible. You'll want to choose them wisely though. There's a better solution than what you're thinking of. Also, statuses are set to whatever you set them to be. By default you can have status set to Unassigned, but then have business logic set the status to assigned when the assignee is changed. This assumes it was assigned/reassigned.

Now to the initial question of autoassigning tickets.

There's a couple ways you can do this.

You can autoassign a ticket based on any information in the ticket you want. If a ticket is created with the category Hardware or if the Type is request or if the description contains the phrase 'assign to john' or any combination of values you want to determine assignment.

So you don't need a dedicated email address per technician. If your main email is support@alloy-software.com send an email there, put in the description "assign to john" and have a business logic rule on the backend look for the words "assign to john" in the description. You can then have it update the assignee field to john and have a separate business rule that changes the status to assigned when the assignee changes (in this case from blank to john)

So if you're remote and only have a blackberry you can still assign tickets. You can make it even more efficient if you wanted to.

New ticket gets created and it's unassigned, it emails you, you respond with assign to john and it will automatically kick off your workflow.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Thanks

Postby quinnmacdonald on Fri May 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Paul,

This has to be one of the best answers I've ever received. You started off with acknowledging my request, offered technical information I didn't consider, then gave me a better, simpler way to do what I wanted. You knew more about what I wanted to do than I did. Nice job!

Tks,
Quinn
quinnmacdonald
Junior

Return to Alloy Navigator 5 Discussion