Problems installing web help desk.

Open discussion about the Asset Navigator Web HelpDesk

Problems installing web help desk.

Postby tharvell on Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:37 pm

I'm installing the Web Help Desk for the first time and unfortunately I'm not that familiar with IIS. I've messed with it some but this is my first time installing it on a fresh system.

MSSQL was already installed for another application, and I installed IIS when the help desk install software asked me to. I've followed the installation instructions to a T, and even read several posts on here that partain to setting this up.

My problem, however, is that when i try to access the helpdesk, I get no error message, just a blank error.asp. Not very much to go on. Any suggestions?
tharvell
Junior

IIS ASP error debugging

Postby usmondord on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:41 pm

I'm no expert but with a fresh install of IIS you may not be sending detailed error messages to clients. Go into the Application Configuration of Help Desk and look at the App Debugging tab. Choose where you want error messages to go. Personally, until a website runs well for some time I send detailed reports to clients. But that's just me.
usmondord

Postby tharvell on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:55 pm

Originally posted by usmondord
I'm no expert but with a fresh install of IIS you may not be sending detailed error messages to clients.

by default on IIS (i've got an iis guy helping me on this as well) it sends detailed error messages...

Go into the Application Configuration of Help Desk and look at the App Debugging tab. Choose where you want error messages to go. Personally, until a website runs well for some time I send detailed reports to clients. But that's just me.

zuh? i'm not following, I can't seem to locate "application configuration" and or the "app debugging tab"
tharvell
Junior

Postby mhull on Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:03 pm

This probably results from a file permissions issue. You should uninstall/reinstall the web help desk, and this time choose all defaults when installing. Also, make sure you reboot the web server after reinstalling. If that doesn't help, take a screenshot of the error.asp page you are getting and send a copy to support@alloy-software.com along with a reference to forum ID 2241.
mhull

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Web HelpDesk Discussion