Error: The server is not operational

Open discussion about the Asset Navigator Web HelpDesk

Error: The server is not operational

Postby nimtsovich on Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:20 pm

I'm getting this error while trying to access the users web helpdesk from domain users workstation. It looks like a permissions issue but I can't figure what exactly. When trying to access the server from domain users who are also defined as AN technicians, it works fine. I'm using AN 4.2.4, The IIS is installed on the same server as the D.B., I already added domain users to the D.B. users, assigning them dbread and dbwrite permissions.
Thanks !
nimtsovich

Same thing here

Postby Kevin Levesque on Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:43 pm

We are having the same problem. It seems to only have come into effect when we added a few more domains. If we manually create the contact record, then add them in via the User Administration tool, it works fine, but AN will not auto-create accounts anymore. Help!
Kevin Levesque

Postby mhull on Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:44 pm

Make sure the web server is on the same domain as your user records are located in.
mhull

Server Not Operational

Postby Kevin Levesque on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:12 pm

This is the case here. My users and the web server are on the same domain.
Kevin Levesque

Postby Stu Jackson on Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:54 pm

I'm having the same problem. The database permissions have been set for SQL (dbwriter & dbreader) and the SQL Server and IIS on the same machine. The only way that I can get an end user so that they can use the web interface is to add them manually.
Stu Jackson
Junior

Postby mhull on Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:11 pm

The 'server' referred to here is not the SQL server, but the AD server. This error indicates that the web interface is having trouble contacting the domain to get user information. One possible cause is that the User container does not exist in this domain. Another is that there simply is no domain, or is an NT 4.0 domain.
mhull

Existing Domains

Postby Kevin Levesque on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:42 pm

My domain has a mix of NT4 and AD domains right now. None of my new users seem to be detected at all unless I manually create the accounts. Production users are in the NT4 domain.

AN used to detect the NT 4 domains without issue and automatically create the accounts until 4.2 or so. Has this support been dropped?
Kevin Levesque

Postby mhull on Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:46 pm

Right, there is no support for NT 4.0 domains.
mhull

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Web HelpDesk Discussion