Connection to data.mdb

Open discussion about the Asset Navigator Web HelpDesk

Connection to data.mdb

Postby predig on Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:48 am

I am using an html editor to try to code an ASP page which would allow me to post certain aspects of the data.mdb file on an intranet web page. In order to do so, I need to be able to make a connection (DSN or other) to the database. Whenever I attempt to connect, I get an error about my permissions not being right. The error reads:

"You do not have the necessary permissions to use the '(unknown)' object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you"

The only problem is, I am both the owner and the system administrator for this database. I've tried using the wrkgrpadmn.exe as suggested by your knowledge base. That allows me to open the DB in Access for editing, but still gives the same error when trying to connect to it using ASP. How can I connect into this database?
predig

Failed attempt

Postby predig on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:03 am

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficemsaccess.exe" "c:inetpubwwwrootdata.mdb" /wrkgrp "c:inetpubwwwrootdata.mdw"

I tried using this, but it just allows me to open the DB in access, and still won't allow for an ODBC/DSN connection to be made.
predig

Postby mhull on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:28 am

The methods described in our FAQ will only allow you to open the database in Access. To connect to it via ASP, you need to pass your AN username/password through the connection string when making the connection.
mhull

Still no luck

Postby predig on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:57 am

I tried using my AN login/pw to connect to the DB. When Dreamweaver makes the .asp file to make the connection, it lists to following:

Dim MM_Test_STRING
MM_Test_STRING = "dsn=Test;uid=mylogin;pwd=mypwd;"

is the DB looking for this in a different way?
predig

Got it!!

Postby predig on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:03 pm

When setting up the DSN connection through ODBC, you have to make sure you include a connection to the 'System Database' and point it to the data.mdw file. Then inside of the advanced settings, input the proper login/password information. After doing all that, I was able to successfully make a connection to the DB. Thanks for the help!!
predig

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Web HelpDesk Discussion