consumables

Open discussion about our Asset Navigator application

consumables

Postby jtt88 on Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:24 pm

I think it might be nice to have consumables tracked in AN. The Library concept is very close, except the Library is for items that will get returned back to IT after use, such as loaner notebooks or pda\'s. A consumable is something like toner cartridges, mouse pads, and such, where once it is gone it is gone and isn\'t going to be returned. Even some spare parts are treated as consumables for us at our company.

Something like this might be helpful. We buy and receive five HP toner carts, say for a 6P printer or whatever. This is entered into the database and the quantity is 5 for that part. When we use one up the quantity goes down by one. At a certain amount, whatever amount we decide to set as the \"low quantity\" then someone is notified via email, say the helpdesk or purchasing or whoever should be emailed to order more of that product, that we are running low on that toner. Then they can order more of that product.

I think this would be helpful to keep track of quantities of consumables. Let me know what you think...
jtt88
Senior

Postby lifegard2 on Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:57 pm

This is an excellent idea! Especially when it comes to toner. I have another DB I use to track my toner usage. From that I can make sure we are getting our $$\'s worth. It\'s saved my bacon once or twice on junk remanufactured toner cartridges when I tell the vendor OEM lasts X number of pages and their reman toner lasts less.
lifegard2
Senior

Postby lintanff on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:41 pm

A very good idea !

Originally posted by jtt88
I think it might be nice to have consumables tracked in AN. The Library concept is very close, except the Library is for items that will get returned back to IT after use, such as loaner notebooks or pda's. A consumable is something like toner cartridges, mouse pads, and such, where once it is gone it is gone and isn't going to be returned. Even some spare parts are treated as consumables for us at our company.

Something like this might be helpful. We buy and receive five HP toner carts, say for a 6P printer or whatever. This is entered into the database and the quantity is 5 for that part. When we use one up the quantity goes down by one. At a certain amount, whatever amount we decide to set as the "low quantity" then someone is notified via email, say the helpdesk or purchasing or whoever should be emailed to order more of that product, that we are running low on that toner. Then they can order more of that product.

I think this would be helpful to keep track of quantities of consumables. Let me know what you think...
lintanff
Junior

Postby moroz on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:00 pm

Your suggestion has been reviewed and approved for future implementation. Thank you!
moroz
Alloy Software

Postby IT Admin on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:01 pm

Has this been implemented yet?
IT Admin
Junior

Postby moroz on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:18 am

We are planning to implement this feature as soon as version 5 will be released.
moroz
Alloy Software

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Discussion