Tracking expired contracts...

Open discussion about our Asset Navigator application

Tracking expired contracts...

Postby wbordeau on Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:45 pm

What is the best practice for tracking maintenance contracts for hardware & software?

For Computer & Peripherals I see a Warranty Exp field in the Finance/Contacts tab and for Software Licenses I see an Expiration Date field in the General tab. Finally, in the Contracts section, I see two fields named Start Date and End Date.

For the most part, Software Licenses do not expire, rather the maintenance or telephone support expires for it. Same thing for hardware.

If I'm interested in knowing when all of these contracts expire, is there a way to generate a report using the End Date on the contract directly, or must I use the Expiration fields on the Computer & Peripherals records or Exp date for Software records?

Please advise and explain the best way to use all of these fields.
wbordeau
Junior

Postby mhull on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:28 pm

If you have Enterprise edition, email notifications are recommended. You can use Service Task Manager to specify that an email notifications be sent you when any contracts in the database are about to expire or have expired.
mhull

Postby wbordeau on Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:35 pm

The feature you described sounds great but what if I only have the Professional Edition? Also, is there a way to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition without repurchasing it?
wbordeau
Junior

Postby mhull on Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:38 pm

The Service Task Manager is not available in the Professional edition, since it relies on SQL Server functionality.

There is an upgrade option to Enterprise edition from Professional. Please contact sales@alloy-software.com to get a quote on what your cost for the upgrade is.
mhull

Postby wbordeau on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:28 am

Thanks for pointing that out. Purchasing and deploying the Enterprise edition, which relies on SQL Server, would be quite involved for us. Can you offer any suggestions regarding the usage of those fields I asked about? We may be stuck with the Professional edition for the time being.
wbordeau
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:06 pm

You can always use Report Designer to create a custom report that fits your needs exactly. You can then create a scheduled task to run the custom report at intervals automatically.
mhull

Postby wbordeau on Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:56 pm

Finally, I'm trying to generate a report based on the end date of my contracts.

Perhaps there is a better way, but I imagine I would use the Search tab on the Query Designer to query Contract List.End Date <= today's date but I get an error because I don't know the variable name that represents today's date. I tried guessing at it and using date variables that SQL and Crystal Reports use to no avail.

Can somebody link me up with a site that lists all of the variables that ReportDesigner uses? I even searched on Digital Metaphor's support website. Also, please tell me if there is an even better way to track expired contracts...in more detail now that I am working Report Designer. I tried studying some of the other reports but that didn't help much because they used a different method to compare time (those reports were based on whether a flag was true or not).

Thanks in advance.
wbordeau
Junior

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Discussion