How to configure Asset Navigator to sniff more detailed info

Open discussion about our Asset Navigator application

How to configure Asset Navigator to sniff more detailed info

Postby chris8877 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi,

I would like to find out how can I configure the Asset Navigator configuration file to sniff more detailed information of the software being installed in any particular PC?
Currently, the Asset Navigator is able to sniff SQL 2000 for example, but unable to tell me whether it is personal/enterprise edition.
chris8877
Junior

Postby mhull on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:44 pm

The Analyzer's default software scan looks in the registry for information, so can only pull whatever data the manufacturer sees fit to provide.

In order to differentiate between these editions, you need to identify a file that is unique to each SQL edition, set up a file scan to detect these files, and use Software Recognition Manager to create recognition rules based on these files. Details on doing so are found in the product documentation.
mhull

Sniffing for SQL Edition

Postby chris8877 on Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:34 am

Hi,

On the same issue again, do you happened to know what file I should be looking for and where to look for it? So far the methods that I have found for sniffing the SQL edition requires me to login into the individual SQL server and using @@version command. Any suggestions?
chris8877
Junior

Postby Support Team on Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:00 am

You may want to look for sqlservr.exe
The attributes reported for this executable (MS SQL Server 2000) are as follows:

File Version: 2000.80.0194.00
Product Version: 8.00.194
Support Team

Postby chris8877 on Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:58 pm

Any idea on how I can get the information on the edition without having to login to the SQL Server?
chris8877
Junior

Postby mhull on Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:09 am

To get version information on any executable file:

Browse to .exe's folder in Windows Explorer
Right-click on .exe file
Choose the 'Properties' option from the dropdown menu
Choose 'Version' tab from the Properties dialog
mhull

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Discussion