A call to an OS function failed.

Open discussion about our Asset Navigator application

A call to an OS function failed.

Postby appleman on Thu May 13, 2004 1:16 pm

The Audit Loader keeps giving me the following error: "A call to an OS function failed." These cascade down the screen sometimes 20 or 30 messages. It appears to be a problem with the scheduled task but I'm unsure what the actual problem is.

Running AssetNavigator 4.3.2 Build: 1530
appleman
Junior

Postby mhull on Thu May 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Please send a .adt file for the machine on which Asset Navigator is installed to support@alloy-software.com with a reference to forum ID 2493.
mhull

Postby Dale Green on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Appleman, did you ever get a satisfactory reply for this question? I'm having the same problem with ANI 4.2.0. when running an On Demand Audit ("a call to an OS function failed").

Mhull, is there vendor support available for troubleshooting problems like this? I can't get my installation of ANI 4.2.0 to collect any information about any device other than the repository host.
Dale Green

Postby appleman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Dale Green,

No, I don't remember getting a response to this problem although my email archive may not be complete looking back to May 2004. I think it may have had something to do with the version of the SQL database I was running AssetNavigator on (SQL Server Express 2005 (beta)). We ultimately used the supported SQL 2000 version and if I remember correctly since that conversion we no longer get that message.

Hope that helps.

Dale Green wrote:Appleman, did you ever get a satisfactory reply for this question? I'm having the same problem with ANI 4.2.0. when running an On Demand Audit ("a call to an OS function failed").

Mhull, is there vendor support available for troubleshooting problems like this? I can't get my installation of ANI 4.2.0 to collect any information about any device other than the repository host.
appleman
Junior

Postby pille on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 am

Welcome Dale :)

Dale Green wrote:Mhull, is there vendor support available for troubleshooting problems like this? I can't get my installation of ANI 4.2.0 to collect any information about any device other than the repository host.

Matt provided an email address to support.

mhull wrote:Please send a .adt file for the machine on which Asset Navigator is installed to support@alloy-software.com with a reference to forum ID 2493.

This is one way to get vendor support. You can see the support section of our website for any other variations - http://www.alloy-software.com/support/index.html

appleman, I don't see any tickets for you in our system, but I do believe you're right about running Asset Navigator on SQL Server Express 2005 since Asset Navigator doesn't support SQL 2005.

As for the error "a call to an OS function failed", it seems very generic. If you do a google you'll find it in many situations. It could be something different in different situations. In this case SQL 2005 and A4.
Contact Technical Services directly:
support@alloy-software.com
http://support.alloy-software.com

Paul Ille
Alloy Software
Maximize your IT Universe
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/alloysoftware
pille
Alloy Software

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Discussion