Handhelds - pocketpc/palm devices

Open discussion about our Asset Navigator application

Handhelds - pocketpc/palm devices

Postby jspotts on Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:22 pm

Someone has sort of already suggested something about pocketpcs, but didn't really give a complete request. I'm a new user to the Professional Version of Asset Navigator and so far I love the product. A future feature I would love to see with the product would be a way to add help desk tickets and asset information via a pocketpc device. I know that the web interface gives some of that capability, but if there were an actual pocketpc app that used the pocket pc's database engine to connect to the database or even just an offline que, it would be wonderful for us on-the-move techies that are constantly running around.

My dream of dreams would be an app that used the wireless functionality to connect to the database via the local network and thus have full access to the live database and allow for updates and additions via the pocket pc device.

Also a small app that inventoryed handheld devices would be cool as well.

Thanks for the great product!

Joshua Spotts
IT Administrator - BrightKEYS
jspotts@brightkeys.com
jspotts
Junior

Postby moroz on Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:07 pm

We're in the process of developing a small application for pocket PCs. This application will allow the Technician to perform all operations available from Web Help Desk.
moroz
Alloy Software

Wonderful!

Postby jspotts on Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:15 pm

Most excellent! I look forward to it.
jspotts
Junior

Is this still going to happen?

Postby metyme on Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:28 am

My tech's are going wireless and will have pocket pc's this would be an AWESOME feature! However, I would like to point out it would need to work with the Pro version users.

Thank you!
Lifes a banquet and most *** are starving to death!
metyme
Junior

Postby moroz on Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:15 pm

A PocketPC application is in our development plans. We are currently finalizing the user requirement scope; you may submit your suggestions, and they will be carefully reviewed.
moroz
Alloy Software

Pocket PC suggestion

Postby metyme on Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:13 pm

Simplicity is nice! Just the basics, with no coding like on the website forum when you want to change fonts! <LOL!>

Really, keeping it simple is preferred because of the tiny screen;
1. The ability to view it landscape would be nice.
2. Basic Tech Web Version layout with the ability to view one UD field.
4. Access to the Knowledge base would be nice, but understand that a flash card would be needed which could be annoying. Like I said, it's not necessary. A tech could just cut and paste the solution in the activity and store it with the ticket.
3. The ability to sync the data is a huge must.

For the most part we can view the Tech Web End user version via the wireless <when you can get a signal> and it was pretty nice as long as we didn't tell it to fit to screen. However, if you have your pocket pc synced to the system and view the web it gives you all kinds of errors.

Thank you for giving these suggestions consideration. We appreciate it!!!
Lifes a banquet and most *** are starving to death!
metyme
Junior

Postby abuckley on Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:00 pm

Is this still in the works. I have a HP ipaq hx4700 which views the tech web module just fine but the links to add assests, links, and activities do not work on the handheld. Any ideas on when the app will be completed or if the links on the techs web module can be made to work with the version of IE on my handheld.
Adam Buckley
Helpdesk &amp; Desktop Analyst
Drug Information Association
800 Enterprise Rd. Suite 200
Horsham, PA 19044
abuckley
Junior

Return to Asset Navigator 4 Discussion